The Department of Pharmacology of the National University of Pharmacy begins its history in 1924. For almost 90 years, the department has become a recognized center of scientific research and teaching as well as drug development. It is a basic department for teaching pharmacology for 17 higher educational institutions of Ukraine, which provide pre-diploma training of the future pharmacists. The staff of the department has taken part in the development of more than 50 drugs, 15 of them have obtained permission for industrial production (Flavin, Holosas using new technology, Polyphytochole, Antral, Thiotriazolin, Ventcol, Erisod, Rexod, Lioliv, Lipoflavon, Prostalad, Inflarax, etc.). Over the past few years, 10 monographs, 10 recommendations concerning the preclinical drugs research approved by the Ministry of Healthcare, and about 100 recommendations on the educational process have been published at the department. An innovative complex of teaching materials (more than 15 volumes) was published in Ukrainian, Russian, English, French, Arabic languages, including “Medical Prescription,” “Pharmacology on the Palms,” “Pharmacology – a support for a Doctor, Pharmacist and Student,” “ Side effects of drugs ,” “Pharmacology cito,” Chronopharmacology, “Medical toxicology.” An original educational photobank of modern medicines is used in the educational process.
Recently, the research work of the department was conducted in the following areas:
- Research and development of psychotropic drugs (mainly sedative, anxiolytic, nootropic, stress-protective action), anticonvulsant and cerebroprotective, frigoprotective, diuretic and nephroprotective drugs, drugs that influence water-salt metabolism, hypouricemic, antidiabetic, anti-inflammatory, chondroprotective, reparative, antiulcer, hepatoprotective, antioxidant, antiatherosclerotic, cardioprotective, pulmonary protective drugs, etc .;
- Study of the influence of the mineral composition of the diet on the efficacy of drugs of various groups;
- Research in the field of chronopharmacology;
- Elaboration of original reference books, writing monographs and guidelines.
The department possesses the appropriate equipment for scientific activities, also there are possibilities to use the equipment and instruments of the educational and scientific institute of applied pharmacy of NUPh.
Heads of the Department:
- Professor, Academician of the USSR Academy of Medical Sciences Alexandr Ilyich Cherkes(1924-1939);
- Associate Professor M.V. Pervak(1939-1941);
- Professor Maria Andreevna Angarskaya(1944-1952), Director of the Kharkiv Chemical and Pharmaceutical Research Institute;
- Professor Vasily Ivanovich Sila(1952-1972);
- Professor, Honored Worker of Public Education of Ukraine, Professor Emeritus of the NUPh and Ternopil Medical University, expert of the International Association for the Exchange of Specialists, China) Svetlana Metodievna Drogovoz(1971-2011), and during her long-term leadership the achievements of the department became the most significant;
- Professor Sergey Yurievich Shrygol’(since 2011).
Currently, the staff of the department includes 7 doctors and 11 candidates of medical, pharmaceutical and biological sciences. 100% of the staff mambers have a scientific degree. The scientific research within graduate, post-graduate and doctoral studies is being actively conducted. Staff members have completed or have supervised more than 20 doctoral and more than 50 Ph.D. theses; and theses preparation by citizens of Ukraine as well as the other countries is still on-going. The following disciplines are being taught at the department: “Pharmacology,” “Pharmacology of biotechnological preparations,” “Pharmacology and medical prescription,” “Side effects of drugs” and “Basics of rational drug use.”
During the last academic year, the results of the research conducted by the staff of the department enabled publishing of 50 articles (25 articles in foreign journals, including 6 articles indexed in Scopus and Web of Science, 28 articles in Ukrainian professional journals), 52 theses in the domestic conferences and 11 – in the foreign conferences.
The total sum for the H-index values of the staff: 20.
The total sum for the documents indexed in Scopus: 126.
The total sum for the citations in Scopus: 101.
The staff members took part in 42 scientific and practical sessions at various levels, including two reports presentations abroad and ten – in Ukraine. During the last academic year, 5 patents of Ukraine were received as well as 3 information letters. The number of scientific publications in the electronic archive of NUPh is 895.
The training of the specialists of the highest qualification is being actively conducte (during the last academic year, a doctoral dissertation has been defended, two diplomas of candidates of science have been received, 4 post-graduate students are being trained, two doctoral dissertations have been completed and are being prepared for defense). The student scientific society of the department unites 24 higher education aspirants actively involved in scientific activity.